Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Saturday 3 December 2011

On flying Cars and Robot Friends

I’ve been thinking of a technology strike…  I plan not to use my phone, internet nor watch television.

Wait! Who am I kidding?

I doubt if I would last a day! But then again I might… at least a day lol

Those who know me well could conclude I would hardly survive, it’s sometimes impossible to live without technology, life is so much easier! Many years ago I might have had to wait for weeks to receive or send a message to family who live about 3000 miles away but now I can do it with a click, I could even send a picture or video message and get an instant reply!

 I like gadgets, they’ve helped a lot but sometimes I wonder what life would be without them… much better or much worse?



Many suggest that in a few years we would live in a world of uttermost pleasure and relaxation. With the upsurge of ideas ranging from flying cars to invisible clothes, the world might be pretty awesome. I mean, just imagine waking up in the morning and all you have to do is say “bathroom” and your bed flies you to the shower. You don’t need to touch anything! Then from there it takes you to your wardrobe and picks out the best outfit that suits your mood or the occasion. After that it takes you for breakfast then transfers you into the car for work.
Even at work all you have to do is sit on a chair while there’s a robot that senses what you’re thinking and does all the tasks for you. So basically all you have to do is think “arrange the files” and a robot does the filing.
Imagine not having to worry about your looks! A robot is right there at home ready to modify your imperfections or transform into a perfect copy of you just in case things don’t go so well…
I guess that might be pretty cool in the virtual world of movies like “surrogates” and “I, robot” but like the movies imply, it could be pretty depressing.

First of all you will probably get an increase of retarded individuals because everyone decides to leave the thinking to the computers, no one would want to figure out things for themselves anymore. We would all probably be weighing a million tonnes and very unhealthy like the humans in Wall-E (I know, I watch them a lot!)

Well, like I said I don’t have a problem with technology but I think I still like to hold my pen, write on paper,  dot my I’s and cross my t’s.
I'd still like to walk (at least for a few minutes), smell fresh air and sink my feet into sand, twirl and run my toes through  green grass.
I’d prefer to receive poetry with lovely scented natural flowers than some e-card from River songs.
I’d love to watch my friend smile, hug her and take her shopping. I still love a drink with the guys and human company!
I’d love to play dress up once in a while, look in the mirror and be sure I’m human.




Gadgets are good but Living is better.









2 comments:

  1. Couldn't stay the whole of yesterday with my phones turned off... Hope we're all able to find a balance; and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm cool with the whole technological drift as long as we keep making the babies ourselves.

    ReplyDelete