Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Another Alice Moment


Remember the time I got creative with my footwear? That was an Alice moment, a period where I drift into fairy land/ “Me” world where I forget I actually live on Earth!

This time we were in a bus and I was certain I had all I needed; my missal, wallet, right pair of shoes etc… I got there at the nick of time and walked out of the bus triumphantly, feeling good that I had made it despite the ridiculous time I left home. As I skipped along praising my good memory,  I heard something that sounded like a horn and a “hey!” I didn’t think it was me so I carried on, it continued for about 5 minutes distracting my proud thoughts so I finally decided to see what the matter was  truly hoping it wasn’t some guy trying his luck.
In the bus was a man, a black man shouting “hey”, waving something in his hand?  I squinted at the object and no one needed to tell me the next course of action to take.  The bus had tried so he had to fling it. I ran to the middle of the road and quickly grabbed it in all humility, wondering when it ever left my bag and when I would ever learn from my mistakes!

People normally say one’s wallet holds his whole life because you usually have cash, credit and I.D cards, driver’s license and any other thing that shows you exist. I lost this bareley a month before and I was very lucky to not have again.

I am grateful that such a man was in the bus, I’m very sure many would say I was lucky because I doubt you would often find such people who would see a wallet and take it upon themselves to return to the rightful owner!  It really struck me that this guy handed me the wallet especially because of the reputation certain people might have of blacks. It’s sad that many have to suffer prejudiced remarks from others just because of a few irresponsible people. I truly wish one day a person would be judged by his actions and not by the negative things that someone from his country, tribe or race did.  With this little action I’m pretty sure he would have changed any negative impression people on the bus may have had about him because he looked scruffy and one would think he would assume he hit jackpot by finding an unattended wallet!

 I believe there Is hope for everyone! Not to say I’d be leaving my wallet on the seat to test anyone (lol) but I truly believe one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. This experience should also hopefully teach me that on the bus, wandering into wonderland is not wise!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Shirley! Alice in wonderland. How I have missed thee...
    Lol!

    http://thatreofsunshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete