Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Friday 19 November 2010

Flowers for Her

The traffic was terrible that day and i can remember how annoying it was when the hawkers came banging at my door trying terribly to sell their goods, if only they knew what i was going through inside. it was becoming too much so i shouted " would you get out of my sight!" they all froze and took ten giant steps back, they met me on a very terrible day and the traffic made it worse.

It began to rain which added to the mood i was in, i put on the radio to make me feel better, it was a slow song that was switched off with immediate effect, i tried eating the twix bar in my bag, still didnt work, i tried brushing my hair and it still didnt work then i began to think "why, why her?"

We were once enemies, we couldnt stand each other till the glorious day we realized we were born on the same day, attended the same primary school, secondary school and now university. the major thing that got us glued together was our love for movies and writing. We became like two peas in a pod, inseparable. the fights began but we prevailed then there came the major thing.

i thought of the last words i said to her and trickles of tears rolled down my face " you know we are inseparable" this was after the fourth major fight we had.

she loved cars, she could tell you the names of all the latest cars including their features. she loved shoes, she had a whole wardrobe for that. she loved green, almost all her clothes were green and most of all she loved writing. her stories and poems were so interesting and emotion filled, one could not understand how she could come up with such figures of speech, more tears rolled down my cheek. i had lost her, my best friend, my second half,everything one could wish to have in a person; pretty, sophisticated, principled with a wonderful personality. i had to stop thinking because i broke down in tears, i thought " i cant let her go, I'm scared to walk alone, I'm an only child, i cant do it, I'll definitely cry everyday" HONK, HONK, HONK! went the car behind me, the traffic was moving and it had stopped raining, there was still a bit of time to meet the funeral mass.

During the mass and after i thought to myself, " she can never live again, she cant hear me if i speak nor feel anything with my words, she's like a log of wood, a block of stone, PATHETIC! or maybe not. It dawned on me, she's alive in me; my memories, the things we did together, the places we went, the games we played, i actually laughed and the sun came out and shone brightly. i cant keep mourning forever, i don't think she would want to see me sad, she would want me to remember the good things about her and all the things we did, it would give her joy wherever she is.

With that and a smile on my face i approached her grave and dropped the flowers for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment