Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Saturday 13 November 2010

I like your accent???

I was with a friend one day and we were chatting freely. She told me she was leaving soon to school abroad, I was sad but she had to go, I knew I was going to miss her. she left on August 16th to be precise and returned for the Christmas holidays on the 18th of December. I went to pick her from the airport excited and hoping to hear all about her school and stuff, the first words I heard shocked me " hello darling how are you? I was startled! not the English speaking, the ACCENT frightened me! I tried to act normal then there it came again! more and more flooding my ears. at a point I had to stop her and I said "please talk to me!"
its not that I did not understand what she said but the accent was just... I don't know... fake?
there is nothing wrong having an accent its just sad when the accent is forced or the reason behind the accent is just  sad. there are many people who have lived abroad for years and don't come back with 'nose speech problems' they still have and are proud of their Nigerian accent while others leave for 2 weeks and come back with an accent of 15 years! Ok maybe it might sound exaggerated but seriously I think we Nigerians need to reflect and ask ourselves 'why the accent?' I understand sometimes when relating to the British people one has to communicate using their accent, they understand one better that way too and  maybe conversing with other Britons give one the 'tinge' of a British accent but apart from that it is quite questionable when one decides to just 'change' his or her accent for questionable reasons.
the truth is when you listen to the radio many times you hear people trying soo hard to talk American or British and its just sad, some forget the accents and mix them up along the way that it becomes a total disaster!. I don't think there is anything wrong with pronouncing your words correctly with your Nigerian accent it is part of who you are, so why don't embrace it?

2 comments:

  1. Lol...U have a point although I doubt very much dat there is a Nigerian accent. Lol. Define? But ur so right. Pls get it right or lose d fake accent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nigerian accent is basically speaking normally but being well spoken if u get what i mean... if you truly have an accent no problem but there is a difference between speaking proper English and forcing an accent.

    ReplyDelete