Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Friday 19 November 2010

One Too Many Drinks

It was pitch black, I couldn’t feel my feet, I felt blind. What happened? We were all in a car, coming from a party, okay Segun drank too much, we all drank too much but we let Timi drive because he was only tipsy now I cant hear anyone’s laughter or Tayo’s silly jokes, yes I remember now, Timi was speeding, Tayo said he sped like a grandma, we were laughing, we saw a bright light and that was it!
I tried to move but I had a sharp pain on my legs, I screamed but my screaming woke none of them up. We were five in the car; Timi, Tayo, Seyi Segun and I. it was Seyi’s birthday and we decided to have a night out. Seyi was such a lovely person, she’d never disappoint anyone and she was so good natured that you’d like to do anything for her. I tried to nudge her, she didn’t budge, I called her, no answer. Please tell me this isn’t happening! “Tayo, Timi, Segun, you guys what’s up now? What’s happening?” I was beginning to feel nervous, I started crying. I groped for Tayo in the dark. Tayo was someone you could never have a dull moment with, he always had something funny or interesting to say, he was so broad minded that he could talk to everybody and anybody, his jokes were quite dry but would be funny when he starts demonstrating. I felt something wet, slimy and sticky; it was a gash on his head, I started wailing. Tayo was my best friend, this must be a nightmare, I know I’m dreaming!
I just had to let myself out because I was getting dizzy and I could hear my head pounding. I tried to push the front seat forward because I realized it was on my legs. I felt Timi’s arms. Timi’s sweet nature, his cute smile and charming personality, he was dead! I had no hope for Segun I knew he’d be gone too, he was outside, figured he was thrown out of the window. Segun; crazy guy with a sensitive heart, I liked him but I’ll never get to be with him. Now I felt alone, I wish I was dead too, what am I going to do? My parents didn’t even know I went for that party, I was screaming and wailing inside the car even if I knew it was no use. “God please help me!” I cried and truly two men came running to the scene. They pulled me out of the car and I heard them speak in Yoruba that my friends were dead and my legs were broken. They put me into their car and I was on my way to the hospital. One of them called for help trying to see how he would get my lifeless friends out of the once beautiful blue sports car Tayo had.
Even still at the hospital and now I’m on a wheel chair I cant stop thinking how and why it had to happen but their memories still linger in my head and heart and I can never forget the friends I lost at third mainland bridge…… at least I should thank God I’m still alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment