Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Saturday 15 October 2011

Yahoo on another level

Sometimes its good to be broke....

when you're broke you know the value of money so you easily walk pass shops and know for sure you don't need the iPhone 4S or the iPad 2 because you already have a Blackberry torch and an iTouch which cater for all your virtual needs (including your laptop, camera, camcorder etc etc....)

I heard a story about an innocent girl who got blacklisted because she was suspected for anti-money laundering (something like that) and the  consequence is she doesn't get to have an account in any UK bank. This poor girl did nothing but follow orders from her employer a.k.a  YAHOO GUY!

she was told her job was to pay money into some one's account through Western Union, she was also told she would be paid a good amount of money for it every week. Hardworking as she was she carried out orders meticulously and ended up being blacklisted.

I was told this story by a friend of mine a while ago and I pitied the poor girl, I also wondered why she didn't see it coming till it nearly happened to me....

you think a girl would learn!

I was seriously looking for a job in my excitement to feel the thrill of working part-time while studying (which I'm sure is not), so I responded to a mail sent to my school mailbox. I accepted the job because the pay attracted me- 160 pounds per week! I did not pay attention to the bracket which said PROBABLE SPAM because I thought it couldn't be coming from my school email. Anyway I accepted the job and was told I would be paid an extra 50 pounds for connectivity allowance ( great u think). I was quite happy that I had finally got a job and was eager to start asap.

The Job: Delivering Packages.....

I know, I know, stupid me right? that just goes to show when one is too desperate for something they probably don't think it over and  damn the consequences ( which could be fatal)

So I got a message saying  950 pounds had been transferred to my account and that I should send it through Western Union to some guy with a weird name, apparently the guy I was to send it to was meant to be the "supplier" and he needed the money to start "packaging". Once I saw that I had a sneaky feeling something was wrong, I mean this guy told me they were an Australian based company who needed packages to be delivered round London not anywhere else. He even sent me a link to his company's website and an employment letter like a proper contract! but I know for sure that one had to be careful when it came to transferring money for a stranger. Anyhow I checked my account to see if the money was there- of course it wasn't...

I told him this, he said I should use out of my money that when the money hits I could take what is mine including the 50 pounds allowance...

Like I said its good to be broke....

I told him I did not have that kind of money, that he should cancel the transfer and give it to me face to face. He said no, that he will cancel the transfer instead.

It was at that point my brain did a reboot and recalled the story I was told! so I went to the bank to report the issue  and they said they would take it from there.

I agree I was not wise but I am happy that I did not have to pay for it and I hope my foolishness will be a lesson to those who receive such emails. Now I think the only job I shall apply for is one that asks for my N.I number and two referees, definitely not a mailing job!

2 comments:

  1. Omg! This is a new scam....thank God you were sharp, or else....we really have to be careful these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need some experiences from the streetz.

    ReplyDelete