Mirror, mirror on the Wall

Mirror, mirror on the wall... Who am I?

Friday 3 December 2010

Christmas Scarcity

One thing I have noticed about people in  this country is the love of  money! any opportunity to make money is visited by every single person,  it only makes sense though because of course it is money that puts food on the table but when it becomes to the detriment of other people it can become questionable.
if you've noticed during the Christmas season there is always scarcity of fuel... it just magically happens! One day you' re driving your car and whistling your favourite tune when you pass a petrol station and you notice an enormous queue. You ask yourself "ahan, dint I buy fuel yesterday? there was no queue now?" unlucky for you you travelled round Lagos yesterday and today so now your fuel gauge is showing red. At that point I'm sure you would wish u had preserved some fuel for other days.
such a thing happened to me. I just finished fixing my car at the mechanic and I was so excited to start Christmas paroles immediately, unfortunately for me my fuel was quite low but I thought to myself "no problem, there is fuel" and took my time till the fuel showed empty... that's one thing about procrastination, it reminds me of the ten virgins in the bible, I felt like a foolish one only that in this case the fuel station was still open but for a loooong queue! Also at  that time I was supposed to meet up with a very good friend of mine who I told I would be at the venue in 15 mins! O well, I tried my luck by joining the queue, hoping it would move fast. After 15 minutes passed I decided to see what was going on because my car hadn't moved from its spot and my friend was calling. I went into the station only to find the keg bringers were present!
One annoying thing about fuel scarcity is the keg bringers! O! they take up your time!!! and there was this really loong queue. Well, with a vibrating phone in my pocket I had to become a keg bringer because it seemed like that was working and luckily for me I had a friend with me who helped queue on the keg line while I joined the car queue ( thanks Tochi!) so I kind of killed two birds with one stone! I got my way both ways and it was a very interesting experience.
There are actually two events that happened as we queued which were really amusing;
The first was as my friend was queueing on the keg line a military car jumped the queue and drove into the fuel station (no questions asked) the car drove into the keg queue knocking and crushing kegs (no questions asked) once they left people had to start looking for their destroyed kegs and pushing and fighting themselves for their rightful position in the queue. once the military car bought fuel and left all was back to order.
Moral of the story: I used to think military rule would be the best for this country but after that incident I pray that it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!
The second was as I was running to meet up with the queue a young lad came up to me and said "you're struggling to get fuel right? eeya same here"( I was walking fast to reach my car take note) what is
your name?
Moral of the story: Even when one needs to be serious some guys always find a way to be HIGHLY UN SERIOUS! I doubt if the lad bought fuel that day because he happened to perceive the petrol station as a good place to get girls! (shaking my head!)
P.S: sorry Princess for telling you I'll be there at 5pm and left Yaba by 7! hope u still love me! (lool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment